Another recent trend in Seoul is to take “Friendship Photos (우전사진)” at a photo studio. There are various locations available near college towns like Hyehwa, Ewha, and Hongdae. My friend and I chose to go to Mr. Photo in Hyehwa for their clean white background.
As you can see from their facebook page, groups of friends, couples, go to this photo studio to take what is called an “Image Picture (이미지사진).” They also take photos for your passport, resume, visa, and I.D. card.
How to get to Mr. Photo
From Hyehwa Station exit 4, make a left and pass by CGV and go to the end of the street where Innisfree is. At the end of the street you will see a crosswalk on your right. On the other side there is a Starbucks Coffee and the photo studio is at the basement of the same building.
When you go downstairs, you should look at these example photos to get some ideas to how to pose for your picture.
At the middle of the stairs, there is a bathroom, and at the bottom of the stairs, there is a dressing room on your right, and the entrance on your left.
Before the photoshoot
Tell the staff that you want to take a 이미지 사진 (i-mi-ji sajin). They will direct you to the mirrors before you start the photoshoot.
Here are some things to remember when you get ready.
- When you finish using the hair straightener, make sure to turn it off.
- Keep you valuables with you or keep it in one place so it won’t be in the way of other customers.
Here are some things to remember before the photoshoot.
- The photoshoot will start in order of groups who finish getting ready earlier.
- If you are going to do a photo shoot in a different set of clothes, please let the staff know beforehand. (If you are going to change clothes after your photoshoot, the staff will let another group have their photoshoot before your second one.)
- It’s your choice to either direct the staff to help you do the pose you want, or you can just do what the staff suggests.
- Don’t forget to smile and strike a natural or charismatic pose.
- You can take about 20-30 cuts. Out of those, you have to choose the photos that you like, and make your payment. Your printed photos will be available in an hour. (While you wait, you can go out to a cafe or restaurant, or go out for shopping.)
After you make sure you look perfect, tell them that you are ready.
During the photoshoot
I was not allowed to take pictures in the photo shoot area. There are many props available here. It’s best to look at their blog or facebook page to get a better idea of what they have. They have huge teddy bears, costumes, flowers, phrase boards, sunglasses, hats, benches, etc.
My favorite was the flowers.
After the photoshoot
Write your name, phone number, e-mail address,
and the numbers (four digits) of your favorite poses.
If you don’t tell them anything, they will just photoshop your face, skin, and body according to their taste. You can also specify what you want to be photoshopped.
For one session each person has to pay at least 5,000 KRW (4,000 KRW for students). Unless you are doing a solo photo shoot, you have to choose a minimum of two poses.
So in that case, each person will pay 10,000 KRW.
If you choose three, you pay 15,000 KRW
and if you choose four, you pay 20,000 KRW.
You can also choose to have two poses (10,000 KRW) and all of the original photo files in an e-mail (30,000 KRW).
Limited time offer:
1. Choose four poses and get one extra pose.
2. Choose five poses and get one extra pose, and get the original file for all of the photos that you took.
*For groups of more than 10 people, this offer is slightly different.
For every photo you choose, each person will get one album size photo (4 x 6) and two wallet size photos. I got these 12 printed photos and also got the original files of five poses in an e-mail.
Hours: 11:00 – 21:00
Phone Number: 02-763-1209
Reservation: When I made a phone call, they told me that it is best to just walk-in rather than specifying a time. I tried contacting them through their kakao talk account but they did not respond at all.