The best part of this recipe is that it doesn’t need a huge oven, doesn’t use oil and doesn’t need a scale.
I usually make this with brown sugar, but this time I changed it up with some Citron Honey. In Korean, it is called Yuja-cha (Honey Citron Tea). Yuja is Yuzu in Japanese.
Toaster oven, measuring cup (500 mL), two spoons, one tablespoon, one fork, one big container/bowl, aluminum foil, paper towel, cup.
(optional if you prefer it to be less sweet)
It doesn’t taste good when the banana is still green!
- Measure the pancake mix with a measuring cup. 200 grams is approximately 475 mL with a measuring cup. Place the flour in a different container. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
- Place the bananas in the measuring cup and smash them with a fork. Leave some bigger chunks for a better texture.
- Make yourself a cup of citron honey tea. You will use the citron/yuzu/yuja chunks later.
- Add the milk, citron honey (or sugar), and egg into a measuring cup and mix well.
- Add the pancake mix and mix well. It’ll be easier to mix if you add it in 3-4 parts.
The mixture should be thick.
- Pour the mixture into an oven-safe container.
*I just used the toaster oven tray and covered it with aluminum foil. It could be a cupcake too.
- Pick out the chunks of yuja from your tea, dry with a paper towel, and use it to decorate the cake. I’m sure you can do better than I did.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Please check if it’s cooked or not on your own because some toaster ovens could be different. Your room should smell really good if it’s cooked.
This would be a good time to clean the materials you used. After that you can enjoy watching your cake rise while sipping on some citron tea.
**If you want to make it brown and crispy on the top, turn up the heat to 200 degrees Celsius for an extra 5-15 minutes.
- Cover it with a paper towel while it’s still hot and let it cool down for a few hours or over night. This makes the cake more moist and sweet. When it’s still hot, it’s fluffy but it doesn’t taste as sweet.
You can enjoy it at room temperature or re-heat it with a toaster or microwave. If you can’t finish it within 2-3 days, cut it and put it in the freezer.
Hope you enjoy it! Let me know if you have any questions.