Hyehwa (혜화) is one of my most favorite places to hang out in Seoul, Korea. This time I would like to introduce a Korean restaurant that I’ve been to three times already because it’s so delicious and affordable.
Reasons why I recommend “The Bob”
- The Bob is a Korean restaurant that focuses on home cooking.
- There is a vegetarian-friendly menu called the Kong-bee-jee (콩비지) which is a soup made from bean-curd (soy-pulp, okara). It’s the one that is next to the five red stars on the menu. It is a milky soup that soothes your taste bud and stomach.
- Another menu that I recommend is the 버섯뚝불정식, which is next to the three red stars. It’s bulgogi with mushrooms, cabbage, clear noodles, and green onions.
- Unlimited rice and side dishes. You can ask for more food without any extra charges. What’s more exciting is that the rice is the healthy Korean purple/black rice, and all of the side dishes are perfectly flavored. I think this place has one of the best Korean side dishes. The salad in the center is served with a citron sesame dressing.
- During the summer, they serve water, but during the winter, they serve hot corn tea.
There’s no English menu, so it is definitely a challenge for Korean learners. Please learn some Hangul before you come to this store so you can at least use a dictionary. Or come with a Korean friend!
If in doubt, just order the ones that are next to the red stars! The more expensive ones are “Couple Set Menu,” which have 2-3 dishes under one price. For example, the one above the blue sentence says “2 set meals + Ddeok Kalbi” for 25,000 KRW.
Weekdays: Open at 11:00 am. Closes at 4:30 pm.
Weekends: Open at 11:00 am. Closes at 9:30 pm. Last order at 9:00 pm.
**Closed from 3:30 pm to 5:00 pm**
How to get there:
Get off of Line 4 Hyehwa Station. Walk out of exit 4, but make a right u-turn and walk straight. Make a right when you see Coffee Gurunaru. Go straight, and when you see the road splitting into three ways, go on the street on the left. You should be able to see the sign from the corner. It will be on the left side of the street.
The Bob is closed on Mondays, but you can also go to The Bob M, which I haven’t been to yet. The Bob M is closed on Sundays.