I’m enjoying life in Seoul, and that is why I am staying here for another year. But there are those random moments when I miss the convenience that I have back home. And when I was making that list, I also realized that I also have things that I would miss from Seoul if I went back home.
When do I miss home? (In my case SoCal)
- When strangers stand too close to me on subways.
There’s all that space in the other corners… why are you next to me? I miss the personal space that I have when I drive a car.
When I have to buy heavy things
What do I do on days when I need a laundry detergent, a new pillow, and some groceries? Or when I see a lot of things that I want to buy from Costco? Not happening… I need to make multiple trips for that. I miss shopping with a car.
- When I have to travel 30-60 minutes for good Mexican food TOO FAR.
- When I see a small scoop of guacamole on my plate.
I NEED MORE. I want a whole avocado for myself. There are some in Korea, but it just feels so expensive…
- When I bite into a cold chocolate chip cookie.
I want my room to smell like cookies. BIG OVEN PLEASE. I could use my toaster oven but it’s not the same…
- When I see the price of fruit and cheese.Wasn’t it cheaper back home??
- When I step outside and get instant sweat.It’s not this humid back home.
- When it’s still noisy outside past midnight.It was dark and quiet past 9 pm in my neighborhood.
When do I appreciate Seoul?
- When packages arrive within 48 hours.
When I do some online shopping and order at night, it sometimes comes the next day. How is that possible?!
- When I get fried chicken delivered in 15 minutes.
- When a bus comes every other minute.Thanks to that, I can get to work in 15 minutes.
- When cheap cosmetic stores are available at every station.I wish make up was this easy.
- When it’s normal to sit at a café for hours.
But let’s not stay there for too long.
- When I can buy a fresh roll of kimpab for under $2 and within 5 minutes.My favorite is cheese kimpab and tuna kimpab!
- When I can find places to go to 24/7Jimjilbang, Noraebang (karaoke), DVD-bang, PC bang, 24 HR Cafe… maybe there’s more?
- When I drink delicious makgeolli
What are some things that you miss from home?